Tuesday, February 09, 2010

 

Tales From The Gym. Today's Episode: The Letdown

So the plan was this- On my vacation (which really started at 3am last Friday) I was going to do a few things that needed done, switch my Edward Jones stuff, do my taxes, consolidate my student loans.... and spend a LOT of time at the gym.
You see kids, being on 2nd shift meant I had to go to the gym before work, usually needing to get there no later than 11a.m. Any past that and I was really rushing myself. None the less, I always felt rushed anyway. You know- work out, get home, take protein shake, eat, prepare lunch for work, shower, get ready, so I never really felt comfortable that I got in all the workout I needed (saving some energy for the 10 hour work day ahead).
But.. vacation time mean I could stay there all DAY.
So, snap back to the story at hand... Thursday rolls around and I awake to a sort throat. AWESOME! Just Freakin' AWESOME!
To me, a sore throat is a definite precursor to a nasty throat infection- without fail. By Friday it's killin' me. So, I run myself to urgent care and get the drugs I need. However, no gym at ALL Thrus-Sun. My body was just to weak from fighting the infection. Had I gone, the workout would have been crappy and I would have just stayed sick longer as my energy would have not been focused on the healing process.
Monday rolls around. Bench day. Big day. HUGE day. I'm still feeling a bit weak from the sickness, but the worst is passed. My training went pretty well, went up to 80#'s each on my dumbbell presses (normally I cash out at 70#'s) but only had energy in short bursts, which meant I had to compromise a bit on tricep training (5 or less reps I was good, but any more and I got really tired, really fast). But all in all a good day.
So- fast forward to Tuesday morning. Got up late (a vacationer's right) and was getting geared up for a HUGE day on back and biceps. Was feeling 100% at this point and was looking forward to spending as long as I wanted in the gym.
I was all awash in my blissfulness, doing some dishes, when suddenly my hand slips on a food processor blade and GASH! I slice my thumb open, from the bottom of the nail to the bend. CRAP! and it was deep too! Blood going everywhere. I can't really dress it right 'cause I only have one good hand with one good opposable thumb. Total chain of errors. I finally get it dressed and the bleeding (which it was doing a lot of) stopped, then I realized- there's NO WAY I can grip a bar today. Sure it sounds like I'm being a pussy (which I usually am) but I assure you this was a pretty nasty cut- so much so I contemplated getting a stitch, but cooler heads prevailed.
So- the gods are against me. Whatever is trying to keep me down this vacation is doing quite well at it. Jebus.. even at this point I'm typing and doing my best to hit the space bar with my left thumb- more difficult that one would think.
So, in short I'm gonna have to get my ass off the couch again and hit the gym, I figure I can do legs today, which is a good day (legs have been strong lately) but it does throw a wrench in my plan.
With that, I have no real whopping way to wrap this up... so instead I'll just end it.

Now, wasn't THAT a waste of your time!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?