Sunday, August 17, 2008

 

And Now The Nature Segment Of Our Program

I have three hummingbird feeders and about six to eight hummingbirds that feed from them. I did a little searching and it turns out they are Ruby Throated Hummingbirds. Really, the only hummingbirds native to Illinois (for the most part). Amazingly enough they are some of the most aggressive little things I've ever seen. I'll be on my back patio and they sure as heck ain't afraid to feed right next to me- while I'm grilling none the less. In addition they fight each other like something out of a zombie movie. For such little guys, they only weigh about as much as three grapes, they just have an amazing set of (metaphorical) balls. I was talking to the previous owner of my house and she told me that she used to own a red cell-phone and it normal for them to go after it while she was talking. I guess they got little man's syndrome or something.
Anyway, I see them all the time here, just another thing I love about my neighborhood.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?