Sunday, February 05, 2006

 

The Oscars Are So Gay

Well, the Academy Award nominations are here (actually a few days ago, but I’ve been busy) and they’re interesting. Last year was really the year of the African American, this year the minority of choice is the homosexuals. My predictions for Best Picture, Actress, and Actor are all gay-based. Now, if we can just avoid the hurricanes, earthquakes and tsunamis that God will reign down upon us for being such sinners, then we should all enjoy this year’s show.
I’m not sure why I get all excited about the Oscars, especially since most of the Best Picture winners are completely un-deserving (really, “The English Patient” was better than “Fargo” or “Titanic” was better than “LA Confidential?”) but none the less I still dig it.
And who can go without making predictions? Not me, that’s fo’ sure. So, technical category crap aside, here’s my early predictions-

Best Actor- I’m going with Phillip Seymour Hoffman in “Capote.” A brilliant performance of a gay genius by an actor who thinks he’s a straight genius. How many gay characters is this for Phillip anyway? My sentimental favorite is David Straitham as he’s one of our more under-rated actors of this age, but I think Phillip’s got it in the bag. Don’t be surprised however to see Heath Ledger pull an upset.

Best Actress- Felicity Huffman in “Transamerica.” A Desperate Housewife with an Oscar? Oh great, now I’ll NEVER stop hearing about how “great” this damn show is. In a reversal of “The Crying Game” it’s a woman, playing a man, who is becoming a woman. Um, is that really a stretch for her? Upset could be pulled off by Reese Witherspoon (who by the way I’ve never found all that hot).

Best Supporting Actor / Actress- Really my favorite category. These are the performances that could make or break the movie itself- sometimes even define them (Keven Spacy in “The Usual Suspects”).
Actor-George Clooney- Syriana. Since he won’t get best director I think they’ll throw him this bone, but he probably deserves it. Ever since the much underrated “Three Kings” I’ve dug Clooney’s work. The upset, if you can call it an upset, would be another great guy Paul Giamatti in the snubbed “Cinderella Man.” Paul’s been overlooked several times in the past and he might just do it this time. Don't expect to see Jake Gyllenhall take the prize, if he didn't win for "Bublle Boy" then he'll never win. Seriously folks, this is probably the closest race in the pool. btw- did you know that Paul Giamatti is Bart Giamatti’s son?

Actress- I haven’t the slightest clue, but I’m going with Rachel Wiez in “The Constant Gardner” only because she had the ability to outshine Ralph Fiennes, not an easy thing to do. Upset could be Michelle Williams for “Brokeback Mountain” just ‘cause that whole “Best Picture” thing.

Animated film- “Corpse Bride.” TIM BURTON DESERVES AN OSCAR.

Cinematography- This is the most under-rated of all the categories. If a movie doesn’t look good than what is it? Imagine “Lord Of the Rings” or “Dances With Wolves” without all the grandeur, not really the same thing huh? I think “Brokeback” will get it due to its brilliant use of the Montana skyline. Open bigness always seems to impress the eye. Upset might be pulled off by “Batman Begins.” This movie looked great and was one of my favorites this year. The amazing coolness of the action shots helped make this movie hold a very bright candle to Tim Burton’s original “Batman.”

Documentary- “March of the Penguins.” I hate to say it, ‘cause it’s French, but I have to admit that this is my favorite film of the year. Rent it- you’ll be shocked about how much you like it.

Director- Ang Lee “Brokeback Mountain.” In a rare stroke of genius, Oscar voters gave him this once previously for “Crouching Tiger..” and his unbridled talent continues to be evident this year. If there is a dark horse it would be George Clooney for “Goodnight and Goodluck,” but I wouldn’t lay any money on it.

Finally-
Best Picture- Brokeback Mountain. Is there any doubt about this? No upsets.

So come March 5th we’ll see how I did. Actually, I’ll probably post a full ballot with picks only- just for fun. But we’ll have to wait for that.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?