Tuesday, February 21, 2006

 

As If My Opinion Mattered

A while back I posted about how Tori Amos’ “Little Earthquakes” was one of those rare recordings where I liked every song. There are a few others and in the case you’re interested, here they are.
Feel free to comment your list as well.

Nine Inch Nails- Pretty Hate Machine
Did you know this is over 20 years old? Doesn’t sound like it huh? Trent is such a freaking genius, and he’s got the narcissism to prove it. Released during a time when the music industry was dying for something to replace hair metal, and grunge had yet to be discovered, Trent opened our eyes. Well, actually Ministry, Skinny Puppy et all opened our eyes but the whole Wax Trax gang opted not to be bought out. Trent knew a good deal when he saw it and took it all for himself. I don’t think he ever compromised so I can’t say as if I blame him.


Kate Bush- The Whole Story
I’m not sure if a ‘Greatest Hit’s should really qualify, but it’s my list and I’ll do what I damn well please. Kate’s the precursor to Tori and those like her. She’s an amazing talent that really set the standard for controlling her own art. Hey Madonna, a thank you would be nice.






Radiohead- OK Computer
Take one song out of this recording and it just doesn’t work. Put simply, it’s one of the most perfect things I’ve ever listened to.









Faith No More- The Real Thing
Faith No More- Angel Dust
The strange thing is that I’m not like a huge Faith No More fan or anything, yet they’ve made my list twice. Also strange is that these albums were released back to back and they really don’t sound all that similar. I think that un-similarity really speaks volumes about the band’s creativity. I dug The Real Thing because it was one of those albums that MTV wasn’t sure what to do with. Do the videos go on Headbanger’s Ball or 120 minutes? If memory serves, they put them on both. If you ever thought that Korn came up with that sound of there’s, listen to Angel Dust and you’ll change your mind.

The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
Um, it’s Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. If you need further explanation I must ask you to leave this page and never return.








Robert Plant- Now and Zen
I’m not sure why, I just like every song.










Afro-Celt Soundsystem- Volume 3, Further in Time
Um, it’s considered world music that features a mixture of African and Celtic influences with a electronic backbeat. For whatever reason John Paul Jones is a big part of this (he was always my favorite member of Zeppelin anyway) and he makes it work. It’s not for everyone, but me really digs it.





Led Zeppelin- In Through the Out Door
Huh? It’s not Ruins? Sacrilege.
As I just stated, John Paul Jones was always my favorite member of Zeppelin and you can tell he had a pretty big hand in this. It takes a while to get over “Hot Dog” but, like “Rocky Raccoon” it’ll tend to grow on ya.






Shakria- Laundry Service
I am a pussy.
Not sure why, even without looking at her I love just about every song this woman has released. No apologies, me likes what me likes and me loves me Shakira.
(man am I gonna catch hell for this one)






Boston- Boston
This aint one of the best selling debut albums of all time for ‘nothin. Granted, this album is even before MY time, but none the less it’s really, really good. When you listen to it you’ll find that they found the perfect formula for guitar-driven, arena rock. Sub-fast tempos, nice mixes of 3/4 and 4/4 times, no crazy chord changes (not just per song, but through the whole thing) and jam sessions just long enough to get you going, but not long enough to bore you.
It’s the kind of thing you can only do once, after the second album it gets pretty old. I’ll have to say I dig these songs and will never hold back in saying so.

Now that’s all I can think of for now. I’m also working on a ‘guilty pleasures’ post, but my head’s starting to knock me out again so I think I’ll slime my way back into bed and watch some winter sports that are of little or no interest to me.
Go USA.

Comments:
Thanks... and the title was just for you in honor of one great page....RIP.
I was hoping I didn't have to many Zep references lest Jason mess himself. But I gotta be true.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?