Wednesday, August 10, 2005

 

Radio Killed The All Stars, Part Deux

Just got done reading a little rant by Jason about how much radio sucks and it got me to thinking.-I've hated the radio for quite some time now and I seem to be locked between a rock and a hard place. On my way to work I have to listen to something (I work 3rd shift so my commute starts at 11:30pm). I can't really put in a c.d. because I'm the kind of guy who likes to take in the whole c.d. experience, not just one or two songs. By the time I get to work I'll be totally into the music which makes pulling into the parking lot that much more of a kill-joy. I won't listen to FM music radio because I have taste and shame. I did listen to NPR for a while, but about a year ago I came to the conclusion that NPR is, in a phrase, un-f**cking listenable. When 10:30 pm is the new 6:30 am you need all the help you can get- listening to stories woven specifically for pseudo intellectuals with no fingers on the button of reality does not a cup of coffee make. I have a whole tirade on NPR that I'll splot out to you later, but I feel so strongly about this subject that It'll take some heavy composition. (quick hint- it involves the applause of the cutting of public funding).On the other extreme I'm not about to listen to conservative talk radio. Talk about your pasture of hypocritical idiots. These are the kind of guys that support such things "intelligent design" because God is American while wanting a constitutional amendment against gay marriage because human rights apparently don't apply to everyone. Anyway-I''ve since taken to listening to sports talk radio. In a way it's kind of a relief because I usually happen to tune into FoxRadio and this is about the only thinking that the FoxNews Network will actually admit is biased and based upon opinion and not necessarily upon fact. Granted, like anything else, you need to draw your own conclusions. But hey, it's just sports.

Comments:
It's interesting to me this phrase "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" describes discomfort or uneasiness. It fits perfect for us closet or "out there" Aerosmith junkies, we recognize Rock and A Hardplace as their worst record today. Yes it is hard to imagine a worse record than that one with the song "Pink", however, it is indeed the bottom of the Aerosmith barrel.

So which came first you ask, "The saying?" or was it "the horrible, heroin induced, Joe Perry-less, turd of a record?"

In Rock and Hard Place times I think to my self "What would Elvis do?"

That's easy, He'd eat a Ham sammich while nailing 5 cocktail waitresses.

Viva Las Vegas Kippy, Viva Las Vegas.
 
Dude, I know you're not one of the Mac faithful any more, but Podcasting is not limited exlusively to iPods (and iPods are not usable only with Macs any more). Use your employee discount and get your self an MP3 player. Load it up with podcasts - they are available on just about any topic. Put all your favorite albums (showing my age with that term) on it, make "greatest hits" playlists (I just bought 45 Rolling Stones songs from the iTunes Music Store). Then, get yourself an FM transmitter or car adapter for your player. That way you can listen in the car, then take it inside with you when you get to work.

It also sounds like you might be a good candidate for satellite radio. Personally, I have an aversion to paying for radio, and although I'm not ecstatic about the current state of broadcast radio either, I can't really see paying to listen to radio. But, it might be the ideal solution for you, with the new portable units.
 
Thanks for the advise on the podcasts, I've thought about it, but just burning a cd is almost to much work for me. Besides, my commute is only about 10 min.

As far as the Aerosmith thing- Alvy, once again you're right on the money.
It's kinda like a Van Halen album without Eddie (on second thought, that just might work out).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?