Tuesday, August 09, 2005

 

New And (not really) Improved

So why the new http address? Well for the last installment of Radio Free, my cousin and uber-blogger (or is it pan-blogger, I can never keep up with these new fangled buzz words) Gene was kind enough to donate web space and design know-how to my little cyber tea party. Since then Gene has taken a bold and welcomed change to his life and relocated to the left side of the country, which makes perfect sense if you check out his politically based posts. So, in summation, he’s just way to busy to hold my hand anymore. I certainly understand and definitely suggest you check out his page from time to time.
Given that change I took it upon myself to open up a Blogger account. It’s really quite easy to use and it’s free. All I do have to figure out the subtleties of the page format. Keep your eyes peeled for changes thought our little existence. I’ll also have get on my Verizon web space and upload digital pictures. It seems that unlike before when I could just add picks onto the blog from my desktop, I now have to link them from the net. Oh well- it’s free. Anybody that uses Blogger who would like to drop me a hint from time to time, please feel fee to do so.
Also comes the most welcome change- I’m free of the heartless digital shackles that is Earthlink. Good God I hated that company. I made the switch over to Verizon, which has been working out pretty well for me. For one, if you have a question, you get to talk to someone from the United States. Ironically when you call a tech support operator, who is obviously from the mid-west, they will lie about their name and say it’s something like “Rajish.”
The downside to switching to Verizon was the sad realization that my trusty old iMac had some serious problems with it’s Ethernet port. If I wanted DSL (and who doesn’t) then I’d have do something drastic. Seems that on a Mac, Ethernet (why does my spell checker keep capitalizing Ethernet?) ports rarely go out, so changing them is a really big deal. I gave it some thought and after concluding that I could do much more of my work at home if I had a PC, comparing prices and figuring that I’m not going to be doing any high-end graphics and editing, I came to the mad realization that I should buy a PC.
So I did.
I won’t go through the nerdy details of RAM and megahertz, ‘cause I just don’t care. So armed with my trusty employee discount (which does nothing since PC's have minimal mark-up) I found one that Circuit City had on sale and asked our resident computer guru if “it didn’t suck” then got it. All in all it’s worked out pretty well, I just have to get used to making like 7 mouse clicks to do what my Mac did in one. Quick hint- back to school is a seriously good time to find good deals on computers.
I still have the Mac hooked up for Photoshop, iTunes and other stuff, so my den looks pretty cool with the two operating systems.
How very Neo of me.

Comments:
I suggest trying out a free Flickr account (flickr.com) for uploading photos -- it has some cool tools that you can use to automatically have your pics appear on your blog, and you can even send photos from a cell phone.
Love those gadgets...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?